Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Neck Chand Rock Garden

Nek Chand Saini (1924-) is an Indian outsider artist

'In his spare time, Chand began collecting materials from demolition sites around the city. He recycled these materials into his own vision of the divine kingdom of Sukrani, choosing a gorge in a nearby forest for his work.' 


I've included these as examples of the ways in which people have created their own worlds. I love the strangeness as well of the unexplained narrative. I don't know what these figures are doing or what they are meant to represent but I know that their presence is collective and that it is meant to mean something. I really like the idea of our work being slightly unexplained. That it is perhaps not about the minutae of an exact manifesto but perhaps the physical act of showing or getting a lot of people together behind one unifying theme or symbol or in the same space is powerful and expressive in it's own right.
Might be heading off brief a little though...let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment